The venesection was painless to say the least, thank you for using local anaesthetics; highly recommended
Testosterone is a crucial hormone for men of any age, and if you have noticed a decline in your testosterone levels, you may experience a variety of negative symptoms. Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) can help boost your testosterone levels to improve your health and vitality.
What Is Testosterone?
Testosterone is an essential male sex hormone produced in the testicles. Men need healthy levels of testosterone to maintain their sex drive, sperm count, muscle mass, bone health, cognitive function and red blood cell production along with several other important body functions.
As many men get older, their testosterone levels can decline, resulting in many negative side effects. You may notice a dip in your sex drive or the ability to hold an erection. Some men see a change in their concentration levels, may gain weight or suffer from insomnia because of low testosterone levels. When experiencing these signs and negative symptoms, you may have what is called “hypogonadism”. TRT is a great solution to help you win the battle against lowering testosterone.
What Are Low Testosterone Symptoms?
One of the key signs that you may be suffering from low testosterone is a drop in your libido and desire for sexual activity. Many men will have erectile dysfunction and not be able to maintain an erection. Testosterone replacement therapy can bring back the vitality and vigour you once had in the bedroom. A healthy sex drive is important to a man’s confidence and relationships so let’s discuss how we can help with TRT.
Other symptoms of low testosterone are changes in mood, loss of cognitive function and fatigue. You may find you are having trouble concentrating and this is affecting your work. If you are feeling depressed and have a lower energy level than normal, these may be due to low testosterone. Men who have testosterone replacement therapy notice how quickly their clarity and energy return, so they can continue life as usual without interruptions.
Testosterone acts as a performance-enhancing drug for many reasons. This hormone helps to build strength and muscle mass in the gym, as well as maintain fat loss. Active older men may notice they can’t maintain muscle gains as easily and this could be a sign of low testosterone.
What Causes Low Testosterone?
It’s normal for a man’s testosterone to lower as he ages, but even men in their 20s and 30s can experience symptoms of low testosterone. A number of factors cause this — often driven by lifestyle choices. Having an unhealthy diet, smoking, not exercising and weight gain, leading a high-stress life, and previous steroid use are all contributors to low testosterone levels.
How Does Testosterone Replacement Therapy Help
Testosterone replacement therapy can help you live a healthier and happier life, last longer in bed and be more physically active. It is important to have the required concentration and motivation to do the things you love. Your work, sex life and hobbies are important to us and we’ll keep you fit and feeling well, no matter your age. There are many ways to boost your testosterone naturally, but when this isn’t enough, TRT can help.
We have a number of testosterone replacement therapy options for you to choose from, including transdermal gels, injections, or tablets. We will create the best plan of treatment for your needs. If you are embarrassed to talk to your GP about your sexual concerns or any other symptoms of low testosterone, we can help. With Harley Street MD, we take your concerns seriously and we work with you to get results. Your concerns and expectations will always be at the top of our priority list, and we’ll always take you seriously.
See our FAQ below for questions you may have about testosterone replacement therapy.
What Is Included In TRT Screening?
- 1-hour confidential consultation with a male doctor to discuss sexual health and symptoms of testosterone deficiency followed by 1/2 hr consultation after test results
- Examination of past medical and surgical history
- Discussion on exercise, diet, lifestyle, stress, occupation and relationship
- Review of current medication and allergies
- Analysis of family history & possible inherited diseases
- A systematic review of sleeping patterns & weight issues
- Vital signs monitoring – blood pressure, heart rate, oxygen saturation, weight, height, BMI and body fat calculation
- Physical examination of the cardiovascular, respiratory, gastrointestinal, musculoskeletal & nervous system
- Ear, nose and throat examination, including thyroid glands & lymph nodes
- Examination of the visual fields & fundi (for prolactin secreting brain tumour)
- Testicular & Prostate examination
- Complete health profile blood tests for anaemia, infection & inflammatory markers, leukaemia, kidney function & electrolyte balance, liver function, bone metabolism, gout & diabetic screen, full cholesterol profile, vitamin D & thyroid function (free T3, free T4 and TSH)
- Prostate Profile blood test (prostate cancer screen) and subsequent advanced screen (total and free PSA) if found to be raised
- Complete Hormone Profile blood tests: LH, FSH, testosterone, oestradiol, SHBG, prolactin & free androgen index.
- Complementary Adrenal Axis hormone blood test: Cortisol and DHEA-S for complete your 360 degree hormonal balance screening.
- Calculation of free testosterone levels
- Comparison of testosterone levels to an age-specific chart and national guideline for TRT
- Urine analysis to check for protein, blood, infection, sugar and ketone content
- Follow up discussion of appropriate treatment options
- Testosterone replacement can begin on the same day of your follow-up consultation. All referrals to a urologist, endocrinologist or neurosurgeon if necessary are free of charge. Let our testosterone replacement therapy make a difference in your life.
Contact us to make an appointment for testosterone replacement therapy today.
How do you know I’m a good candidate for testosterone replacement therapy?
The extensive consultation we do will give us the results we need to determine if you are a good candidate and what your protocol should consist of. A reasonable guide to tell us if you qualify is if your total testosterone level is less than 300 ng/dl, among other results from your bloodwork.
I have ED and no interest in sex, will TRT help?
Yes! One of the largest placebo-controlled studies showed “older men with low libido showed more interest in sex” and got their groove back after TRT.
How long will I have to take testosterone?
Every person will have a bespoke treatment plan, but we encourage at least six months of treatment to see results. We will track your progress to ensure your plan is working and is correct as your testosterone improves.
How fast does testosterone replacement therapy work?
Hormone therapy will affect every man differently, but studies show that with injections men regain sexual interest and increased libido as quickly as three weeks, with changes in erections taking anywhere from three weeks to a couple of months. Studies show that men experience a return to a full and happy sex life after three to six months of treatment. Noticeable improvements in mood and overall quality of life are detectable very early into TRT.
Does TRT have any health benefits?
Besides the many benefits we have already discussed with sexual health, clarity, weight maintenance and muscle gain, you may also experience better heart health and stronger bone density, among other things.
Are there any side effects of taking testosterone?
We will create a well planned TRT treatment to help negate any potential negative side effects. However, some men experience mild side effects like irritability, acne, weight gain, headaches, nervousness, and — in rare cases — prolonged erections. Previously, testosterone replacement was connected to cardiovascular issues, but a recent study showed there was no increased risk for heart attacks or strokes.
Does the NHS cover TRT?
Men may find it difficult and a lengthy process of multiple doctors to get the help they need through their GP. If you use a private clinic like Harley Street MD, you will have faster access to the treatment you need.
What are the benefits of using a private clinic?
Paying to have testosterone replacement therapy privately is something many men feel is the most comfortable way to approach such a sensitive issue they do not want to discuss with their GP.